Scavenger Hunt Teacher Notes
This project is a fun introduction to SkyServer and to the types of objects astronomers study. Students go on a “scavenger hunt” with the SkyServer Navigation tool, looking for 20 objects in a specified amount of time. Students learn about stars, galaxies, and asteroids, and learn how the magnitude scale provides a quantitative measure of how bright a star or galaxy is.
- Overview gives a description of the project, its target audience, and the concepts it teaches
- Background gives scientific background about the project, including references, to help you answer student questions
- Lesson Plan gives all the information you will need to teach this project in your classroom
- Teaching Tips gives specific advice on how to use each stage of the project
- Assessment gives ideas for evaluating student work
- Standards links this project to national science, math, and technology standards.