Any RA and Dec can be used to find a unique location in the SDSS Navigate tool, but since the SDSS has not imaged the entire sky,
it will save you a lot of time if you pick one from a known location using the Constellation Notebook. Here’s how:
- Go to the Constellation Notebook.
- Scroll down to find a constellation you are interested in. Click to open the notes for that constellation.
- The information in the Plate Coverage and Imaging Coverage columns lets you know if the SDSS has data for the coordinates listed. Choose any set of coordinates for which SDSS has data.
- Go to Navigate.
- Enter the RA and Dec coordinates into the appropriate spaces in the Parameters box.
- If the new location does not automatically reload, click the Get Image button.
- This is your starting place for observing star colors.